Sweet Potato-Apple Bake
medium sweet potatoes (2-1/2 pounds)
medium Granny Smith apples
cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
cup thinly sliced green onion
tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
tablespoons brown sugar
teaspoon ground red pepper
tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Peel sweet potatoes or yams; cut off woody portions and ends; cut into quarters. Peel, quarter, and core apples. Cook sweet potatoes, covered, in a Dutch oven in enough boiling water to cover for 15 minutes. Add apples and cook 10 to 15 minutes more or until tender. Drain.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sweet potatoes and apples. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until mashed. Add eggs; half-and-half, cream, or milk; green onions; margarine or butter; brown sugar and red pepper. Beat until well combined. Turn into a greased 2-quart souffle dish or casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.
- To serve, bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven about 1 hour or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 12 servings.
- Up to 3 days ahead, prepare casserole, except do not bake. Cover and chill. To serve, bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts(Sweet Potato-Apple Bake)
- Per serving:
- 147 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 39 mg chol.,
- 163 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet