- Cook squash, covered, in enough boiling salted water to cover squash, about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- When cool enough to handle, cut mirlitons lengthwise in half. Remove seeds. Scoop out pulp to within 1/2 inch of skin. Set shells aside. Chop pulp. Drain. Squeeze pulp between paper towels to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- For stuffing, cook onion, celery, and garlic in butter or margarine until tender. Remove from heat.
- Reserve 4 whole shrimp for garnish, if desired. Cut remaining shrimp into small pieces. Stir shrimp, mirliton pulp, toasted bread crumbs, parsley, salt, red pepper, and black pepper into onion mixture. Spoon stuffing into squash shells.
- Place shells in a 10x6x2-inch baking dish. Bake stuffed squash, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until heated through. Garnish each serving with celery leaves and a whole cooked shrimp, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above, except substitute two 8-ounce zucchini for the mirlitons. Cook zucchini in water for 10 to 15 minutes. To bake, arrange shells in a 12x7-1/2x2-inch baking dish. Continue as directed above, except bake 20 minutes.
Toasted Bread Crumbs: To toast bread crumbs, spread crumbs in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts (Stuffed Mirlitons)
- Per serving:
- 226 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 143 mg chol. ,
- 397 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 14 g pro.