Spring Vegetable Platter
- Place a steamer basket in a saucepan. Add water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring to boiling. Add asparagus or green beans. Steam, covered, until crisp-tender (5 to 8 minutes for asparagus; 18 to 22 minutes for green beans). Remove asparagus or green beans from steamer basket; chill until serving time.
- Add more water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket, if necessary. Return to boiling. Add cauliflower. Steam, covered for 8 to 12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove cauliflower from steamer basket; chill until serving time.
- For dressing, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Cover and blend or process for 5 seconds. With blender or processor running slowly, add oil in a thin, steady stream through the opening in the lid. (When necessary, stop blender or processor and use a rubber scraper to scrape sides.) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- To serve, arrange asparagus or green beans on 1 side of a large platter. Line remaining half of the platter with lettuce. Arrange cauliflower on top of the lettuce. Add several cherry tomatoes and ripe olives. Drizzle vegetables with the dressing. Garnish with the lemon slices and a fresh thyme sprig, if desired. Makes 12 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Make the dressing up to a week before serving. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. The day before, clean and steam the asparagus or green beans and cauliflower. Arrange on the platter. Cover and chill. Just before serving, add cherry tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with dressing.
Nutrition Facts (Spring Vegetable Platter)
- Per serving:
- 158 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 109 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet