Skillet Browned Broccoli with Pan Toasted Garlic
Go from skillet to table in less than 30 minutes with this vegetable side dish recipe that combines broccoli with sharp and flavorful toasted sliced garlic.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Preheat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Slice broccoli heads lengthwise in a 1-inch-thick slices, cutting from the bottom of the stem through the crown to preserve the shape of the broccoli (reserve any florets that fall away for another use). Brush both sides of each broccoli slice with some of the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place half of the slices in the heated skillet and set a heavy medium skillet on the slices to press them to the cast-iron skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well browned. Turn slices and cook second side for 3 to 4 minutes more or until browned (for more tender broccoli, cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side). Repeat with remaining broccoli slices. Transfer to a warm platter, cover, and keep warm.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the hot skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic slices. Cook garlic, stirring gently and constantly for 2 minutes or until the slices are lightly browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange broccoli on serving platter. Sprinkle the toasted garlic slices over broccoli. Makes 8 servings.
When buying garlic, look for firm and plump bulbs with dry papery skins. Garlic can be stored up to several months in a cool, dark, dry place, such as an open brown bag in the pantry. Keep the bulbs whole because individual cloves dry out more quickly. Toasting sliced garlic makes it sharp and flavorful. Be sure to stir constantly so the slices do not burn.
Keep cooked broccoli slices warm in a 300 degree F oven or cover with foil while the remaining broccoli cooks.
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 119 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet