This traditional meatless Sicilian Lenten dish has fresh artichokes, which are in season during spring. A pressure cooker cuts the steaming time on this hearty springtime recipe.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 8 mins (at pressure)
- Coarsely crush croutons, if large pieces. In a large bowl combine croutons, sweet pepper, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Add anchovies, if using. In a small bowl combine olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper; drizzle over crouton mixture. Toss to combine. Add enough chicken broth to moisten. Set aside.
- Wash the artichokes; trim stems and remove loose outer leaves. Cut off 1 inch from top of each artichoke; snip off the sharp leaf tips with kitchen scissors. Brush the cut edges with a little lemon juice. Whack the artichokes, point side down, on a countertop and the center will open to expose yellow center leaves and choke. If necessary, use your fingers to pull the outer leaves away from the center leaves. Use a spoon to scoop out inner yellow leaves and fuzzy center. Brush insides with lemon juice. Spoon the filling into the artichokes, packing lightly.
- Put the water in a 6-quart pressure cooker. (This recipe works best in a stainless steel pressure cooker, which most of the newer ones are. Artichokes tend to discolor on contact with aluminum.)
- Place the artichokes, stuffing side up, on the rack in the pressure cooker. Cover and lock lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat (allow about 10 minutes). Adjust heat for moderate cooking and cook 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Serve artichokes in shallow bowls. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare artichokes as above through Step 2. Place artichokes, stuffing side up, in a 4- to 5-quart stainless steel or enamel-coated Dutch oven. Add 1-1/2 cups water to pan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until a leaf pulls out easily. Carefully remove with tongs. Serve as directed above.
Nutrition Facts (Sicilian Artichokes)
- Per serving:
- 418 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 14 mg chol.,
- 1089 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 19 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet