- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup jasmine, basmati, or wild-pecan long grain rice
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads or dash ground saffron*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 red sweet pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 ounce herbed semi-soft goat cheese (chevre), crumbled
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
1. In a large saucepan combine rice, vegetable broth, water, and saffron. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine oil and garlic; brush over sweet pepper, zucchini, and eggplant. Grill vegetables on the lightly greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat about 10 minutes or until tender, turning once. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Transfer vegetables to cutting board; cool slightly. Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces; stir into cooked rice. Top with goat cheese and nuts. Makes 4 servings.
- You may substitute 1/4 teaspoon turmeric for the saffron.
- Start an outdoor feast featuring this Spanish-style pilaf with tapas-style appetizers including olives, grilled vegetables, and cubes of piquant cheese.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 333,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 7,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 48,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 9,
- vit. A (RE) 52,
- vit. C (mg) 24,
- sodium (mg) 443,
- calcium (mg) 40,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet