- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 6 hrs to 8 hrs (low), 3 to 4 hours (high)
Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes
cloves garlic, halved
14 ounce can seasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic
cup whole milk
Freshly ground black pepper
Bay leaves (optional)
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, garlic, and bay leaf. Pour broth over potato mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain potatoes in a colander over a bowl to catch the cooking liquid. Remove and discard bay leaf. Return potatoes to slow cooker. Mash potatoes with a potato masher.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until steaming and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture, salt, and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to mashed potatoes to reach desired consistency.*
- To serve, transfer potatoes to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. If desired, garnish with bay leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
Return mashed potato mixture to slow cooker; keep warm on low or warm setting for up to 2 hours. If mixture thickens, stir in more of the reserved cooking juices to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 135 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 13 mg chol.,
- 496 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet