Roasted Pumpkins with Bacon and Brown Sugar
slices bacon, crisp-cooked and drained, drippings reserved
2 pounds pie pumpkins
teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
green onions, diagonally sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut off top 1/4 of pumpkins. Remove seeds and strings; reserve 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds.
- Place pumpkins, cut side up, in foil-lined baking pan. Brush insides with some of the bacon drippings and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Replace lids. Roast pumpkins in oven 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in skillet stir together pumpkin seeds, fennel seed, green onions, and remaining bacon drippings. Add skillet to oven during last 10 minutes of roasting.
- Remove pumpkins and seed mixture from oven. Sprinkle inside of pumpkins with seed mixture and crumbled bacon. To serve, use a large spoon to scoop out insides or use knife to cut into wedges. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Pumpkins with Bacon and Brown Sugar)
- Per serving:
- 180 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 8 mg chol.,
- 438 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet