Roasted Late-Summer Apples
- In a small saucepan bring 12 cup of the apple juice and the raisins to boiling. Remove from heat; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl combine drained golden raisins, pecans, butter, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon.
- Core apples. If desired, score apples with a sharp knife around the circumference of each. Spoon nut mixture into cavity of apples. Place stuffed apples in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour the reserved liquid and the remaining apple juice around apples.
- Bake, covered, for 10 minutes (15 minutes for medium apples). Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more (20 minutes more for medium apples) or until apples are just tender enough to be easily pierced with a sharp knife, spooning juices over filling once or twice. Cool about 30 minutes before serving. Serve with Ginger Ale Ice. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Small apples are usually sold in prepackaged plastic bags in the produce department of supermarkets. If using medium apples, increase amounts to 1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Late-Summer Apples)
- Per serving:
- 219 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 47 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 22 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet