- Scrub beets; trim off stem and root ends. If desired, peel the baby beets. (If using medium beets, peel them and cut into 1-inch pieces.) Set beets aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook unpeeled onions in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain. Rinse onions with cold water. Carefully remove skins.
- Place beets and onions in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. In a small bowl combine olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over vegetables in pan. Toss lightly to coat.
- Cover pan with foil and roast in a 375 degrees F oven for 30 minutes; uncover and continue roasting for 20 to 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. If desired, sprinkle with fresh chives.
- Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Beets)
- Per serving:
- 92 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 252 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet