Roasted Asparagus and Other Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat a heavy shallow baking pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl toss asparagus with herbs, oil, salt, and pepper.
- In the hot baking pan spread asparagus in a single layer. Return to oven. Roast, uncovered, until spears are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 10 to 12 minutes, depending on spear thickness, stirring once during roasting.
- Remove baking pan from oven. With tongs, transfer asparagus to a serving platter. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Use dried Italian seasoning or a combination of dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, or rosemary.
Vegetable Roasting Times:
All roasting times are at 450 degrees F. For vegetables roasted longer than 15 minutes, stir occasionally until they are tender.
1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces --35 to 40 minutes
1 lb. green beans, trimmed and pre-cooked in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drained --8 to 10 minutes
1-1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, thinly sliced --16 to 18 minutes
1-1/2 lb. fingerling potatoes, or new potatoes cut in half lengthwise -- 25 to 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts (Roasted Asparagus and Other Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 107 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 243 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet