Roasted Asparagus and Other Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Heat a heavy shallow baking pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl toss asparagus with herbs, oil, salt, and pepper.
- In the hot baking pan spread asparagus in a single layer. Return to oven. Roast, uncovered, until spears are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 10 to 12 minutes, depending on spear thickness, stirring once during roasting.
- Remove baking pan from oven. With tongs, transfer asparagus to a serving platter. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Use dried Italian seasoning or a combination of dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, or rosemary.
All roasting times are at 450 degrees F. For vegetables roasted longer than 15 minutes, stir occasionally until they are tender.
1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces --35 to 40 minutes
1 lb. green beans, trimmed and pre-cooked in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drained --8 to 10 minutes
1-1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, thinly sliced --16 to 18 minutes
1-1/2 lb. fingerling potatoes, or new potatoes cut in half lengthwise -- 25 to 30 minutes
Nutrition Facts(Roasted Asparagus and Other Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 107 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 243 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet