- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 leeks, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 12 ounce can (1-1/2 cups) evaporated milk
- Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1. Peel potatoes; thinly slice. In a 3-quart saucepan combine potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves. Add water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, trim leeks, discarding the first 2 inches of the ends, and the first inch and outer leaves of the tough green tops. Wash leeks well. Add leeks to potato mixture. Cook, covered, 3 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Drain well; discard bay leaves.Sauce::
3. In same saucepan melt 2 tablespoons margarine or butter. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add evaporated milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese; stir until smooth.
4. Transfer the vegetables to a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Carefully spoon the warm cheese sauce over potato mixture; spread with the back of a spoon to coat the vegetables.Crumb Topping::
5. In, a small mixing bowl stir together grated Parmesan cheese, seasoned fine dry bread crumbs, and 2 tablespoons melted margarine or butter. Sprinkle the topping over the potato mixture.
6. At serving time, bake the casserole, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven about 15 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbly around the edges of the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded Gruyere cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Makes 6 to 8 side-dish servings.
- Prepare as above, except do not bake. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven about 25 minutes or until cheese sauce is bubbly around edges of dish. Sprinkle with remaining shredded Gruyere cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
- cal. (kcal) 280,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 26,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 33,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 12,
- vit. A (RE) 814,
- vit. C (mg) 10,
- sodium (mg) 286,
- calcium (mg) 263,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet