Potatoes and Carrots Au Gratin
- Peel potatoes; thinly slice. In a 3-quart saucepan combine potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves. Add water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim leeks, discarding the first 2 inches of the ends, and the first inch and outer leaves of the tough green tops. Wash leeks well. Add leeks to potato mixture. Cook, covered, 3 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Drain well; discard bay leaves.
- In same saucepan melt 2 tablespoons margarine or butter. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add evaporated milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese; stir until smooth.
- Transfer the vegetables to a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Carefully spoon the warm cheese sauce over potato mixture; spread with the back of a spoon to coat the vegetables.
- In, a small mixing bowl stir together grated Parmesan cheese, seasoned fine dry bread crumbs, and 2 tablespoons melted margarine or butter. Sprinkle the topping over the potato mixture.
- At serving time, bake the casserole, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven about 15 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbly around the edges of the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded Gruyere cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Makes 6 to 8 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except do not bake. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F. oven about 25 minutes or until cheese sauce is bubbly around edges of dish. Sprinkle with remaining shredded Gruyere cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Potatoes and Carrots Au Gratin)
- Per serving:
- 280 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 26 mg chol.,
- 286 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet