- Wash beets, leaving on the roots and 1 inch of tops. Place in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven or kettle; add water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and discard cooking liquid. Cool beets slightly; trim off roots and stems. Slip off the skins.
- In the same Dutch oven or kettle combine vinegar, water, and sugar. Place allspice, cloves, and cinnamon in the center of a 7-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth; tie into a bag and place in Dutch oven. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Pack beets in hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Carefully add the boiling pickling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Discard the spice bag.
- Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in boiling-water canner for 30 minutes. Remove jars from canner; cool on racks.
Nutrition Facts (Pickled Beets)
- Per serving:
- 29 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 17 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Linda Kreft 1249 Days Ago
can you freeze beets?