Party Vegetable Platter
- Place a steamer basket in a saucepan. Add water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring to boiling. Add asparagus or green beans. Cover and steam until crisp-tender (4 to 6 minutes for asparagus; 18 to 22 minutes for green beans). Remove asparagus or green beans from steamer basket. Chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours or until serving time.
- Add water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket, if necessary. Return to boiling. Add cauliflower. Steam, covered, for 8 to 12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove cauliflower from steamer basket. Chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours or until serving time.
- For dressing, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Cover and blend or process for 5 seconds. With machine running slowly, add oil in a thin, steady stream through the opening in the lid. (When necessary, stop blender or processor and use a rubber scraper to scrape sides.) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours or until serving time.
- To serve, arrange asparagus or green beans on one side of a large platter. Line remaining half of the platter with lettuce. Arrange cauliflower on top of the lettuce. Add several cherry tomatoes and ripe olives. Pass the dressing. Garnish with the lemon slices and the thyme sprig.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead, make the dressing; cover and chill in the refrigerator. Up to 24 hours ahead, steam the asparagus or green beans and cauliflower. Arrange on the platter. Cover and chill in the refrigerator. Just before serving, add cherry tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with dressing.
Party Vegetable Platter for a Crowd:
Prepare as directed above, except double all ingredients. Makes 24 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Party Vegetable Platter)
- Per serving:
- 162 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 197 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet