- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/4 cups dry red or yellow lentils
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup snipped dried apricots and/or golden raisins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala or 2 tsp. Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh mango
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium saucepan bring 3 cups water and lentils to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; set aside.
2. In 10-inch skillet cook carrots, apricots, onion, celery, garam masala, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. In large bowl combine eggs, cooked lentils, carrot mixture, brown rice, 2/3 cup of the nuts, half the chutney, and 1 tsp. salt.
4. Firmly press lentil mixture into a greased 9- or 9-1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. In small bowl combine remaining chutney with sweet pepper, mango, and remaining nuts.
5. Evenly spoon chutney mixture on loaf. Bake 10 minutes more or until chutney mixture is heated through (loaf should read 160 degrees F). Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Let stand 15 minutes; cut in wedges to serve. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 367,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 79,
- carb. (g) 53,
- fiber (g) 13,
- pro. (g) 14,
- sodium (mg) 496,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet