New Sweet Potato Casseroles
- In a Dutch oven cook potatoes, covered, in enough boiling salted water to cover for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender; drain and return to pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slightly mash potatoes with a potato masher. Stir in sugar, butter, milk, eggs, lemon juice, and, if desired, one of the stir-ins; stir until well combined. Transfer sweet potato mixture to a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. If desired, top with one of the toppings.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
PEANUT BUTTER: For creaminess, add 1/2 cup.
ORANGE PEEL: For tart flavor, add 2 tablespoons.
RED CURRY PASTE: Add Indian spice and heat with 2 to 4 teaspoons.
PUMPKIN OR APPLE PIE SPICE: For harvest flavor, add 4 teaspoons spice plus 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
PEANUTS AND COCONUT: Impart Far-Eastern flair with shredded coconut and chopped peanuts.
BACON AND ROSEMARY: Add smoky depth with crumbled cooked bacon tossed with snipped fresh rosemary.
ONION AND GARLIC: For earthy flavor, top with sauteed thinly sliced onion and garlic.
ALMONDS: Give a salty crunch with chopped smoked almonds.
PINEAPPLE AND BLUE CHEESE: Top with 1 cup pineapple chunks and 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles.
Test Kitchen Tip:
Suite your taste. Choose a stir in, choose a topper--they all work together or any one can be used alone.
Nutrition Facts (New Sweet Potato Casseroles)
- Per serving:
- 377 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 139 mg chol. ,
- 156 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 34 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.