Mediterranean Alfredo Pizza
- Spread an unbaked pizza crust or bread shell with Alfredo sauce. Arrange spinach leaves over sauce; sprinkle with mushrooms. Arrange tomato slices and artichoke hearts over mushrooms. Sprinkle with oregano and mozzarella cheese. Bake as directed or until cheese is bubbly around edges. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Combine 2/3 cup bread flour or all purpose flour, 1/2 package active dry yeast, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add 2/3 cup warm water (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup more flour. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in additional flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface, building up edges slightly. Transfer to greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Arrange desired toppings on top. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Use 1 pound frozen whole wheat or white bread dough, thawed. Place on lightly floured surface and let rest 10 minutes. Roll out and proceed as directed in the Homemade Pizza Crust recipe above.
- Use one 16-ounce (12-inch) purchased Italian bread shell (such as Boboli). Place on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet and arrange toppings on top. Bake in a 400 degrees degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and toppings are hot.
From the Test Kitchen
Make it a meal with tomato soup, rainbow sherbet, and sugar cookies.
Nutrition Facts (Mediterranean Alfredo Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 270 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 28 mg chol.,
- 384 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet