Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
pounds russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and quartered
tablespoons olive oil
large yellow onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges (about 2 cups)
cup butter or margarine, softened
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
ounce aged white cheddar cheese, shaved into thin shards with a vegetable peeler
- In a large saucepan cook potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil. Stir in the onion wedges. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring frequently. (If necessary, reduce heat to medium-low to prevent too much browning before onions are tender.) Increase heat to medium-high and cook about 5 minutes more or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Mash drained potatoes with a potato masher. Add butter, sage, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Gradually beat in enough half-and-half to make mixture light and fluffy.
- Mound potatoes in a serving dish. Top with onions and cheese shards; serve immediately.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings
Nutrition Facts(Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions)
- Per serving:
- 187 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 21 mg chol.,
- 309 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet