Mario Batali's Spanish-Style Rice with Winter Vegetables
teaspoons saffron threads* or Spanish paprika
cups vegetable broth (two 32-oz. boxes)
cups arborio rice or short-grain rice
medium carrot, coarsely chopped
medium red sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
small turnip, peeled and chopped
small acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
green onions, thinly sliced
cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
medium zucchini, chopped
tablespoons olive oil
Fresh thyme leaves
- In small saucepan combine saffron and 1 cup water; bring to boiling. Remove from heat. In large saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and keep warm.
- In 12-inch skillet combine saffron mixture and rice; bring to boiling over high heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, until most liquid is absorbed. Add carrot, sweet pepper, turnip, squash, and 1 cup broth; bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Simmer and stir until most liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed and rice is just tender (about 20 minutes, adding 5 cups broth total).
- Add green onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and 1 cup broth. Cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining 1 to 2 cups broth. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender and rice is tender yet slightly firm in the center (about 10 minutes, adding 2 to 3 cups broth total.)
- Remove from heat; stir in 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. To serve, drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with thyme. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Mario Batali's Spanish-Style Rice with Winter Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 263 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 840 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet