Mario Batali's Spanish-Style Rice with Winter Vegetables
- In small saucepan combine saffron and 1 cup water; bring to boiling. Remove from heat. In large saucepan bring broth to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and keep warm.
- In 12-inch skillet combine saffron mixture and rice; bring to boiling over high heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, until most liquid is absorbed. Add carrot, sweet pepper, turnip, squash, and 1 cup broth; bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Simmer and stir until most liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed and rice is just tender (about 20 minutes, adding 5 cups broth total).
- Add green onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and 1 cup broth. Cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining 1 to 2 cups broth. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender and rice is tender yet slightly firm in the center (about 10 minutes, adding 2 to 3 cups broth total.)
- Remove from heat; stir in 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. To serve, drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with thyme. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Mario Batali's Spanish-Style Rice with Winter Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 263 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 840 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet