Low-Fat Grilled Vegetables on Focaccia
Grilled red sweet peppers, zucchini, and eggplant, brushed with balsamic vinaigrette, are stacked on focaccia spread with goat cheese and fat-free cream cheese. Totally veg, this low-cal sandwich is filling enough to serve for dinner.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yields: 8 main-dish servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Grill: 8 mins
- For the Balsamic-Vinaigrette, combine balsamic vinegar or wine vinegar, water, olive oil, and oregano, in a small bowl.
- Cut sweet peppers in quarters. Remove stems, membranes, and seeds. Arrange all vegetables on grill rack directly over medium-hot coals; brush with Balsamic-Vinaigrette. Grill, uncovered, until slightly charred, turning occasionally (allow 8 to 10 minutes for peppers and eggplant, and 5 to 6 minutes for zucchini). Cut peppers into strips.
- Cut focaccia in half crosswise. Split halves into two layers horizontally to form four pieces total. Combine goat cheese and cream cheese, and spread over bottom layers of focaccia; top with some of the sweet pepper, zucchini, and eggplant; place top halves of focaccia over vegetables. To serve, cut each focaccia half into four wedges. Makes 8 main-dish servings.
Make it a meal with dilled potato salad and spumoni ice cream.
If you like, use 1/3 cup purchased, bottled Italian dressing instead of preparing the Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Per serving:
- 201 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 mg chol.,
- 68 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet