Honestly Good Mashed Potatoes
medium all-purpose potatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
cup whipping cream
tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- In saucepan add potatoes with enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, Simmer, covered 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Let stand in colander 5 minutes to dry and cool slightly. Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine milk and cream. Heat just until hot.
- In mixing bowl beat potatoes with the whip attachment of an electric stand mixer just until potatoes break. Add 3 Tbsp. butter; mix on low speed just until incorporated. Add remaining 3 Tbsp. butter; beat again.
- Slowly beat in milk mixture; adding only as much as potatoes can absorb. On medium speed beat until potatoes are light and fluffy. Do not over mix. Season to taste with salt; moisten with more milk mixture, if needed.
- Cover potatoes; chill up to 24 hours.
- To reheat, transfer potatoes to medium nonstick saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until reheated, gently stirring occasionally. If necessary, thin mashed potatoes with additional hot milk mixture before serving. Top with additional butter before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To serve right away:
Omit chilling step.
Nutrition Facts(Honestly Good Mashed Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 295 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 60 mg chol.,
- 417 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet