- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 large red and/or yellow firm tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs (2 slices)
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1. Cut off 1/2 inch from the top of each tomato. Finely chop enough of the tops to equal 1 cup; set aside. Remove and discard the seeds and pulp from tomatoes.
2. In a large bowl stir together the chopped tomato, 3/4 cup of the bread crumbs, the beans, pine nuts, cheese, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Spoon the bean mixture into the tomatoes. Place the stuffed tomatoes in a 2-quart square baking dish.
3. In a small bowl stir together the remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and the thyme. Sprinkle over tomatoes.
4. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees oven about 20 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown and tomatoes are heated through.