- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 pounds red-skinned potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled (if desired) and cut up
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (12)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Milk (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar or American cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a covered large saucepan, cook potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes in enough boiling water to cover until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Stir in the pancetta and green onions. Season with the salt and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. If necessary, add a small amount of milk to reach the desired consistency.
2. Grease eight 10- to 12-ounce individual casseroles or custard cups or a 2- to 3-quart casserole. Spoon potato mixture into prepared casserole(s). In a chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold in cheese. Spoon cheese mixture over potatoes.
3. Place casserole(s) on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned and heated through. If desired, sprinkle with additional pepper.
- Slice green onions and shred cheese. Place in separate storage containers; cover and chill up to 24 hours.