For a fast side dish, start with precooked rice. Turn it into a main dish by simply adding shrimp or tofu.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish: 30 mins
- In a small bowl combine eggs and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.
- Pour 1 teaspoon sesame oil into a wok or large skillet. Preheat over medium heat. Add garlic and egg mixture and stir gently to scramble. When set, remove egg mixture from the wok. Cut up any large pieces of egg mixture. Remove wok from heat.
- Pour 1 tablespoon cooking oil into the wok or skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Return to medium-high heat. Stir-fry celery in hot oil for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add cooked rice, carrot, and peas. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Add cooked egg mixture and green onions; cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.
- Makes 6 side dish servings
Add 12 ounces peeled and deveined fully cooked shrimp when adding the rice. Makes 4 main dish servings.
Per serving for shrimp and tofu viariations: 286 cal., 10 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 272 mg chol., 818 mg sodium, 26 g carbo.,
3 g fiber, 26 g pro.
Daily Values: 51% vit. A, 15% vit. C, 7% calcium, 22% iron
Exchanges: 1/2 Veg., 1 1/2 Starch, 3 Very Lean Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
Add 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes when adding the rice. Makes 4 main dish servings.
- Per serving:
- 141 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 71 mg chol.,
- 418 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet