- Yields: 8 to 10 serving plus leftovers
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 1 hr to 1 hr 5 mins 350°F
- Stand: 15 mins
Florence Mama's Candied Yams
pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch-thick rounds
orange, thinly sliced into rounds
cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter*
cup light brown sugar, packed
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an ungreased 2-quart baking dish place sweet potato slices, overlapping slightly and covering the dish. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook until sugar is dissolved, then add the orange slices. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, covering the entire surface.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings plus leftovers.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, you can reduce butter in this recipe.
Nutrition Facts (Florence Mama's Candied Yams)
- Per serving:
- 309 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 230 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 24 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet