- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 375°F
- Cool: 5 mins
Cumin-Rubbed Sweet Potatoes with Sage
medium sweet potatoes
tablespoons coarse salt
tablespoon cumin seeds, crushed
tablespoon maple syrup or honey
teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Canola or peanut oil for frying
Fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and scrub potatoes. Mix together salt and cumin. While skins are damp, rub all over with salt mixture (reserve any remaining salt mixture for another use). Bake potatoes directly on oven rack for 1 hour, turning once to crisp evenly on all sides. (Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the rack beneath potatoes to catch drippings.)
- Meanwhile, for spiced butter, in a small bowl, stir together softened butter, maple syrup, and crushed red pepper. Using waxed paper, roll the butter into a log. Chill.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Carefully add sage leaves to the oil; fry sage leaves for 2 minutes, until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain fried leaves on paper towels.
- Cool potatoes for 5 minutes. If desired, brush off some of the salt. With a sharp knife, make a lengthwise cut in potatoes; push ends toward center to open. Top each potato with 1 tablespoon spiced butter and sage leaves. Reserve remaining butter mixture for another use.
Nutrition Facts (Cumin-Rubbed Sweet Potatoes with Sage )
- Per serving:
- 278 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 527 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet