- Place butter beans in large saucepan. Cover with water; add about 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to boiling. Skim surface until clear. Cook, partially covered, 30 to 40 minutes, until tender. Strain beans into sieve. Set aside.
- Shuck corn. Using clean terry cloth kitchen towel gently rub corn to remove silks. Using sharp knife, cut corn kernels from cobs.
- In large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat until melted and foaming. Add corn. Lightly season with salt and pepper, stirring to coat corn in butter. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute more, taking care not to overcook corn and beans.
- Add cream and ham. Cook just until heated through and slightly reduced. Season to taste. Makes 8 (1/2 cup) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If fresh beans are not available, substitute 2 cups frozen baby lima beans. Cook beans according to package directions.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Succotash)
- Per serving:
- 141 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 20 mg chol.,
- 246 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet