Classic Potato Latkes
- Peel and finely shred potatoes. In a mixing bowl combine potatoes with chicken fat, eggs, garlic, and salt. Using 1/3 cup mixture for each latke, press mixture into patties about the size of the palm of your hand, squeezing out excess liquid.
- In a large skillet heat chicken fat over medium-high heat. Carefully slide patties into hot fat.
- Cook over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until latkes are golden brown, turning once.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Add additional fat during cooking, as needed. If necessary, reduce heat to medium to prevent overbrowning. Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Serve with sour cream or other toppings, if desired. Makes about 10 latkes. (Nutrition facts are per latke with 1 teaspoon sour cream.)
Nutrition Facts (Classic Potato Latkes)
- Per serving:
- 131 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 46 mg chol.,
- 167 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet