Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and thinly sliced
cup chopped onion
teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
ounces queso quesadilla, queso blanco, or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1-1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook sweet potato slices in lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. Grease a 2-quart oval or rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan cook onion in hot butter about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and salt. Add milk all at once; stir in chipotle pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cheese.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in prepared baking dish. Cover with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Chipotle Scalloped Sweet Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 169 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 19 mg chol.,
- 234 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet