This chicken and leek combination accented with a delicate cream-and-wine sauce is an elegant but easy dish that's perfect for parties or special family meals.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: 4 hrs to 24 hrs
- Bake: 20 mins 400°F
leeks (about 2 pounds)
tablespoon olive oil
ounces skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
cup dry white wine
cup whipping cream
dash of ground nutmeg
baby leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and rinsed (optional)
cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
cup soft bread crumbs
- Trim and discard root ends from the 8 to 10 leeks; remove several inches from the tops and any tough outer leaves. Halve leeks lengthwise. Clean trimmed leeks thoroughly under cold running water to remove any sand. Bias-slice leeks into 1/4-inch-thick slices. (You should have 3 cups sliced leeks.)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sliced leeks. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender. Remove leeks from skillet; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir chicken strips for 3 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove skillet from heat. Add wine. Return skillet to heat. Bring mixture just to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Add whipping cream, salt, and nutmeg. Return to boiling. Cook and stir about 3 minutes more or until slightly thickened. Add sliced leeks to chicken mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 1-quart au gratin dish or casserole. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Uncover casserole. If desired, add baby leek halves. Sprinkle cheese and bread crumbs over. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden and leek mixture is heated through. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To tote to a potluck:
Cover casserole tightly with foil. Place in an insulated carrier.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken-Leek Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 346 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 90 mg chol.,
- 245 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBoneless Chicken, Boneless Chicken Recipes, Casseroles, Chicken Breast Recipes, Chicken Casseroles, Chicken Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Quick and Easy Recipes, Salad Dressing Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes