- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 9 medium baking potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 8 ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cover unpeeled potatoes with water in a Dutch oven; sprinkle with salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes; shred with a grater.
2. Combine potatoes, cheese, and margarine or butter in a large mixing bowl; stir until margarine is melted. Stir in sour cream, green onion, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-quart casserole.
3. Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until heated through. Before serving, sprinkle with paprika. Makes 8 servings.
- Before baking, cover and chill the potato mixture overnight. Bake in a 325 degree F oven, covered, for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, stirring twice. (Or, heat in the microwave oven on 100 percent power [high] for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once.) Sprinkle with paprika.