Celery Root and Sweet Potato Cakes
- In a small dry skillet toast cumin seeds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat; cool. Crush slightly with a mortar and pestle or rolling pin.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, the 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, salt, and crushed cumin seeds. Stir in shredded celery root and sweet potato until combined. Form mixture into 16 cakes, stirring frequently to keep egg mixture well distributed.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Carefully place some of the cakes in hot skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture, adding additional oil as needed during cooking. If necessary, reduce heat to medium to prevent overbrowning. Drain on paper towels.
- Place cooked cakes on baking sheet in a 300 degree F. oven to keep warm while cooking remaining batches. Serve with sour cream or applesauce. Makes 16 cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
For quicker preparation, use shredding blade of food processor to shred peeled celery root and sweet potatoes.
Nutrition Facts (Celery Root and Sweet Potato Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 62 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 93 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet