Traditional potato pancakes take on a twist with the addition of cauliflower. Serve these latkes with applesauce.
- Break cauliflower into 1/2-inch florets; reserve stems. In stockpot bring 6 cups water to boiling. Add a dash of salt and florets; cook for 3 minutes. Drain; cool in iced water. Drain again; pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor* finely shred cauliflower stems; transfer to bowl. Finely shred potatoes and onions; add to stems. Stir in 3/4 cup matzo meal, curry powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add eggs; mix well. Stir in florets and enough matzo meal (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) until mixture holds together.
- Form cauliflower mixture in patties, using about 3 tablespoons for each. Place remaining 1 cup matzo meal in shallow dish; dip patties in matzo meal; set aside.
- In a skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil until a little cauliflower mixture dropped in oil sizzles. Carefully add 4 patties to hot oil. Fry over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on paper towels. Keep latkes warm in 300 degree F oven. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve warm. Makes about 24 latkes.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
Shred cauliflower stems, potatoes, and onions with a box grater if you do not have a food processor.
Nutrition Facts (Cauliflower-Curry Latkes)
- Per serving:
- 162 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 113 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet