Carrots with Garlic Glaze
pound carrots, cut into julienne strips (3 cups)
tablespoon soy sauce
dash bottled hot pepper sauce
tablespoon cooking oil
teaspoon grated fresh ginger
cloves garlic, minced
leeks, sliced 1/2 inch thick (2/3 cup)
Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- In a medium saucepan precook carrots, covered, in small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together water, soy sauce, cornstarch, and hot pepper sauce. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or 12-inch skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry ginger and garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots and leeks; stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Push vegetables from the center of the wok.
- Stir sauce. Add the sauce to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir all ingredients together to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Carrots with Garlic Glaze)
- Per serving:
- 105 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 333 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet