Caribbean Tofu Skewers
Need a vegetarian option at your next cookout? These healthy and hearty tofu and vegetable kabobs make the decision easy!
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 2 kabobs
- Prep: 25 mins
- Marinate: 8 hrs to 24 hrs
- Grill: 8 mins
Caribbean Tofu Skewers
peeled and cored fresh pineapple
16 ounce package extra-firm tofu (fresh bean curd), drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
tablespoons lime juice
tablespoon olive oil
teaspoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
clove garlic, minced
cup 1-inch pieces of red, yellow, orange, and/or green sweet pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Cut pineapple into 1-inch cubes; cover and chill until needed. Place tofu in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine reserved pineapple juice, lime juice, olive oil, jerk seasoning, salt, and garlic. Pour over tofu. Seal bag; turn to coat tofu. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain tofu, reserving marinade. On eight 12-inch skewers,* alternately thread tofu, pineapple chunks, onion wedges, and sweet pepper. Lightly coat assembled skewers with cooking spray.
- For a charcoal grill, place tofu skewers on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill about 8 minutes or until sweet peppers are crisp tender, turning to brown tofu evenly and brushing occasionally with marinade. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place tofu skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
Nutrition Facts (Caribbean Tofu Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 212 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 233 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesDinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Fourth of July Recipes, Fruit Salad Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes, Quick and Easy Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes