Brussels Sprouts with Frizzled Prosciutto
- Trim stems and remove any wilted outer leaves from Brussels sprouts; wash. Cut any large sprouts in half lengthwise.
- In a large Dutch oven bring a large amount of salted water to boiling. Carefully add Brussels sprouts and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until just tender (centers should still be slightly firm). Drain and spread out in a shallow baking pan.
- Place sprouts in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto to skillet, half at a time, and cook until crisp; remove from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add butter and shallots to skillet. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until shallots begin to soften.
- Add Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper to skillet. Cook and stir Brussels sprouts about 8 minutes or until heated through. Add vinegar and stir to coat. Transfer Brussels spouts to a serving bowl. Top with prosciutto and serve. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, omit prosciutto and oil and substitute 4 slices of chopped bacon; cook bacon until crisp. Discard drippings.
To serve right away:
Chilling step may be omitted; proceed with step 4 and cook sprouts only 6 minutes in step 5.
Nutrition Facts (Brussels Sprouts with Frizzled Prosciutto)
- Per serving:
- 92 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 391 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet