- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 45 mins
Broccoli and Anchovy Orecchiette
large heads of broccoli
good pats of butter (about 1 tsp. each)
large cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
small dried red chilies such as bird chiles*
pound dried orecchiette pasta
freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
- Use a small knife to remove broccoli florets from the main stalks and set aside. Peel the remaining stalks. Trim and discard the dry end and finely slice the stalks. In a saucepan or very large 14-inch skillet melt a pat of butter and add the sliced stalks, the garlic, and anchovies. Crumble in the dried chiles (these can be pretty hot so don't go overboard). Cover and cook slowly for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the stalks start to soften.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Add the broccoli florets to the pasta for the last 4 minutes. This makes them tender enough to eat but leaves them with great color and texture
- Drain the pasta and broccoli florets, reserving a little of the starchy pasta cooking water. Add the pasta and broccoli florets to the pan of cooked broccoli stalks. Add the remaining pat of butter and quickly toss everything together. Remove the pan from the heat. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper and sprinkle in half of the Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Add a little of the cooking water if necessary to loosen the pasta. Serve immediately, drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with the rest of the Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
* Chiles contain oils that may burn skin and eyes. Wear plastic gloves and wash hands after handling.
Nutrition Facts (Broccoli and Anchovy Orecchiette)
- Per serving:
- 394 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 18 mg chol.,
- 387 mg sodium,
- 62 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBreakfast and Brunch Fish and Seafood Recipes, Broccoli Salad Recipes, Desserts, Dinner Recipes, Fish and Seafood Recipes, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pasta Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Shellfish Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes