Black Bean Chipotle Burger
- In a large bowl mash half the beans with a potato masher or pastry blender until well mashed. Add remaining beans, corn, corn chips, rice, onion, the 1/2 cup salsa, the chipotle peppers, cumin, and garlic.
- Shape mixture into eight 4-inch patties, about 3/4-inch thick. Place patties on a tray; cover and chill at least 1 hour before grilling.
- Brush both sides of patties with olive oil; place patties on a grill pan. For a charcoal grill, place grill pan on the grill rack directly over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned, turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add patties on grill pan to grill rack, cover and grill as above.)
- Serve burgers on tostada shells. Top with additional salsa, the radishes, cabbage, cilantro, cheese, and avocado. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Patties can be prepared as above through step 2 and frozen for 3 to 4 hours until firm. Place patties in an airtight freezer container and freeze up to 1 month. To serve, brush frozen patties with oil and grill as above for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned, turning once.
Nutrition Facts (Black Bean Chipotle Burger)
- Per serving:
- 347 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 699 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 11 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet