- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/4 cups dry pinto beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe 8-inch Spinach Tortillas (see Recipe Center) or twelve 7- or 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato (1 medium)
- 1 ripe medium avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped (optional)
- Chopped tomato (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
1. Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 4 cups water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. Return beans to saucepan. Add 4 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1-1/2 hours or until beans are very tender. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid.
3. For filling, in a large, heavy skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in drained beans and salt. Mash bean mixture, adding reserved cooking liquid (about 1/3 cup) to obtain desired consistency.
4. Meanwhile, wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.
5. To assemble each burrito, spoon a scant 1/2 cup of the filling onto each tortilla just below center. Top with cheese and chopped tomato. Fold edge nearest filling up and over just until filling is covered. Fold in 2 adjacent sides just until they meet; roll up.
6. Arrange burritos, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes more.
7. If desired, serve burritos with chopped avocado, additional chopped tomato, and salsa. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- Prepare burritos as directed through Step 5, except do not add chopped tomato to filling. Wrap each burrito in foil and place in a freezer container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, place frozen burritos, loosely wrapped in foil, on a baking sheet and heat in a 350 degree F oven about 30 minutes. Open foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 466,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 17,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 62,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 18,
- sodium (mg) 562,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet