Basic Potatoes Au Gratin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- For sauce, in a saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- In a greased 2-1/2- to 3-quart au gratin or rectangular baking dish or two 1-1/2-quart au gratin dishes layer half the potatoes. Pour half the sauce over potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce. Cover and refrigerate remaining cheese. Cover gratin and refigerate overnight.
- Bake, covered, for 50 minutes for large dish, and 40 minutes for small dishes. Uncover; top with remaining cheese. Bake 40 to 50 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Seafood and Goat Cheese Gratin:
Add 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon to sauce. Layer 8 ounces smoked salmon or whitefish, skin removed and salmon flaked, on first layer of potatoes before adding sauce. Substitute goat cheese for Parmesan cheese. Served with a green vegetable, this gratin becomes a main dish. Each serving: 331 cal., 13 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 35 mg chol., 961 mg sodium, 37 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 18 g pro. Daily Values: 7% vit. A, 39% vit. C, 26% calcium, 16% iron.
Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gratin:
Cook 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms with the onion and garlic. Add 4 teaspoons snipped fresh sage to sauce. Substitute crumbled blue cheese for Parmesan cheese. Each serving: 238 cal., 10 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 18 mg chol., 541 mg sodium, 28 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 10 g pro. Daily Values: 6% vit. A, 30% vit. C, 20% calcium, 12% iron.
To serve right away:
Bake, covered, for 35 minutes for larger dishes and 20 minutes for smaller dishes. Uncover; top with remaining cheese. Bake 35 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and top is golden.
Nutrition Facts (Basic Potatoes Au Gratin)
- Per serving:
- 220 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 15 mg chol.,
- 511 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet