- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 main-dish servings or 12 side-dish servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs to 7 hrs (low) or 3 to 3 1/2 hours (high)
- Stand: 10 mins
2 pound butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cubed (about 5 cups)
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
medium onion, cut into wedges
cup regular barley (not quick-cooking)
14 ounce can vegetable broth
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, stir together squash, spinach, onion, barley, broth, the water, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- If possible, remove ceramic liner from cooker or turn off cooker. Sprinkle squash mixture with Parmesan cheese. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Barley-Squash Gratin)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 5 mg chol.,
- 737 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet