Artichokes with Herb Butter Sauce
Serve the artichokes with the butter sauce as a side dish recipe for two. If you're looking for an appetizer, try the variations with Curry Dip or Honey-Mustard.
- Makes: 2 servings
- Start to Finish: 35 mins
- Wash artichokes; trim stems and remove loose outer leaves. Cut off 1 inch from each top; snip off the sharp leaf tips (see photo, right). Brush the cut edges with a little lemon juice. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven bring a large amount of lightly salted water to boiling; add artichokes. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until a leaf pulls out easily. Drain artichokes upside down on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, for herb butter sauce, melt butter. Stir in the 1 tablespoon lemon juice and the desired herb. Turn artichokes right side up; serve with the butter sauce.*
- Makes 2 servings
To eat artichokes, pull off one leaf at a time and dip base of leaf into sauce or dip. Draw the base of the leaf through your teeth, scraping off only tender flesh. Discard remainder of leaf. Continue removing leaves until the fuzzy choke appears. Remove the choke by scooping it out with a spoon; discard choke. If you have trouble getting the choke out with a spoon, try loosening it with a grapefruit knife and then pulling it out with the spoon. Eat the remaining heart with a fork, dipping each piece into the sauce.
Prepare artichokes as in step 1. Chill artichokes thoroughly. Omit butter sauce. For Curry Dip, in a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon curry paste or 1 teaspoon curry powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours before serving with chilled artichokes. Makes 4 appetizer servings.
Nutrition Facts per 1/2 artichoke with 2 tablespoons dip: 234 cal., 22 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 10 mg chol., 338 mg sodium, 8 g carbo., 4 g fiber, 2 g pro.
Daily Values: 14% vit. C, 3% calcium, 5% iron
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 4 1/2 Fat
Prepare artichokes as in step 1. Chill artichokes thoroughly. Omit butter sauce. For Honey-Mustard Dip, in a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard, and 1 tablespoon honey. Cover and chill until serving time. Makes 4 appetizer servings.
Nutrition Facts per 1/2 artichoke with 2 tablespoons dip: 251 cal., 22 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 10 mg chol., 297 mg sodium, 12 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 3 g pro.
Daily Values: 12% vit. C, 3% calcium, 5% iron
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Other Carbo., 4 1/2 Fat
- 268 kcal cal.;
- 23 g Fat, total;
- 61 mg chol.;
- 15 g sat. fat;
- 15 g carb.;
- 6 g Monosaturated fat;
- 1 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 7 g fiber;
- 4 g pro.;
- 2 Fat;
- 278 mg sodium;
- 0 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12);
- 60 µg Folate;
- 2 Vegetables;
- 680 IU vit. A;
- 18 mg vit. C;
- 1 mg Niacin;
- 453 mg Potassium;
- 0 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6);
- 61 mg calcium;
- 2 mg iron;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 0 mg Riboflavin
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet