- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 9 hrs (low) or 4-4.5 hours (high)
Veal Osso Buco
pounds veal shank cross-cuts (4 to 6)
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
tablespoons cooking oil
14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
cup dry red wine
Hot cooked rice (optional)
- If desired, season veal with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dip veal in flour to coat. In a large skillet, brown veal, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat, turning once. Drain off fat. Place veal in a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker. Pour undrained tomatoes and the wine over veal in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat and tomatoes to a serving dish. If desired, sprinkle with Gremolata and serve with hot cooked rice. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
cup snipped fresh parsley
teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
cloves garlic, minced
- In a small bowl, stir together parsley, lemon peel, and garlic.
Nutrition Facts (Veal Osso Buco)
- Per serving:
- 397 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 163 mg chol.,
- 1249 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 46 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet