Old-World Veal Burgers
egg, lightly beaten
tablespoons beer or water
cup soft rye bread crumbs (1 slice)
teaspoon caraway seeds
teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon ground black pepper
pound ground veal or lean ground beef
slices rye bread
slices Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
tablespoons German-style mustard, creamy Dijon-style mustard blend, or stone-ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine egg and beer. Stir in bread crumbs, caraway seeds, marjoram, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add ground veal; mix well. Shape mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal grill, place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until done (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- When burgers are nearly done, add rye bread slices to the grill. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Turn bread slices; place cheese on four of the bread slices. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes more or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Place burgers on the cheese-topped bread slices. Spread the plain bread slices with mustard; place on top of burgers. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Old-World Veal Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 492 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 172 mg chol.,
- 1056 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet