Vanilla-Scented Pickled Sweet Cherries
- Sort and wash cherries. If desired, stem and pit cherries. In a large nonmetal bowl combine cherries and vinegar. Cover the bowl and let stand at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain the vinegar from the cherries into a medium stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick saucepan. Add sugar, the water, vanilla bean, and stick cinnamon. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolves; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Stir the kirsch (if using) and almond extract into the cooled vinegar mixture. Pour over cherries. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 3 days.
- Drain the liquid into a medium stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick saucepan, discarding vanilla bean pieces and cinnamon stick. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Strain liquid; let cool.
- Meanwhile, pack the cherries into sterilized half-pint jars. Pour liquid over cherries in jars, filling the jars to the brims. Seal with nonreactive lids. Refrigerate for at least 1 month before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Vanilla-Scented Pickled Sweet Cherries)
- Per serving:
- 83 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 6 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet