Vanilla Rooibos Tea Meltaways
- In a small saucepan cook and stir 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat until butter is melted and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in tea leaves. Allow tea to steep in butter for 4 minutes. Strain butter through a fine-mesh sieve; discard tea leaves.
- In a large mixing bowl beat strained butter, the remaining 1/2 cup butter, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Beat in flour and cornstarch until combined.
- Shape dough into a 10-inch roll. Wrap roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a serrated knife, cut roll into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small bowl combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and brewed tea. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat cookies with glaze. Let stand on wire rack until glaze is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for vanilla rooibos tea at a shop that carries specialty teas.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Vanilla Rooibos Tea Meltaways)
- Per serving:
- 67 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 34 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet