- Yields: 36 cookies
- Prep: 30 mins
- Chill: overnight
- Bake: 10 mins 350°F
Tuscan Ricciarelli-Style Cookies (Italy)
cups slivered almonds (6 ounces)
cup shelled pistachio nuts (4 ounces)
cups powdered sugar
tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon almond extract
- In a food processor combine almonds, pistachios, and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar. Cover and process until nuts are very finely ground but still dry (not oily). Add 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar, the flour, orange peel, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt. Cover and pulse with on/off turns to combine; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites, almond extract, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar, beating until medium-stiff peaks form (tips stand almost straight). Gently fold the nut mixture into the egg white mixture until the mixture forms a dough.
- Line a shallow baking pan with plastic wrap. With damp hands, or using a rubber scraper, form dough into a 12x6-inch rectangle. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. Unwrap dough. Using a long sharp knife, cut dough into 2x2-inch squares. Cut each square in half diagonally to form two triangles. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Sift additional powdered sugar over warm cookies. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Tuscan Ricciarelli-Style Cookies (Italy))
- Per serving:
- 84 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet