Turnips, Greens, and Pearl Onion Gratin
- Remove stems and any bruised leaves from the greens. Wash thoroughly in cold water; drain well. Chop the leaves into rough, wide ribbons. (You should have about 6 cups packed greens.)
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven cook the greens, covered, in salted boiling water for 4 minutes. Add the turnips; cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until the greens are tender but still vibrant-colored and turnips are tender. Add the pearl onions; return to a boil just to thaw the onions. Drain greens, turnips, and onions well in a colander; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In the same Dutch oven melt the 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; add shredded cheese, stirring until melted. Gently stir in the cooked greens mixture, making sure greens are evenly dispersed. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle over the turnip mixture. Bake about 20 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden brown.
From the Test Kitchen
If turnips come with greens attached, use them for a portion of the greens in this recipe.
Prepare as directed through Step 3; except do not preheat the oven. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for 2 to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Continue as directed in Step 4.
Nutrition Facts (Turnips, Greens, and Pearl Onion Gratin)
- Per serving:
- 251 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 488 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.