- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium green sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 16 ounce jars medium or hot salsa
- 2 15 - 16 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 taco shells
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- shredded lettuce, optional
1. In an extra-large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain off fat. Place beef in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in onions, sweet peppers, salsa, and black beans.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
3. Reserve and store* half of the beef mixture; use in Easy Posole (see recipe below). Spoon remaining beef mixture into taco shells. Sprinkle with green onions, chopped tomato, and shredded lettuce, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Place reserved beef mixture in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 3 days.
- In a large saucepan, combine reserved beef mixture, two 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth; 14.5-ounce can golden hominy, rinsed and drained; and 1 1/2 cups frozen loose-pack hash brown potatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top with dairy sour cream, snipped fresh cilantro, and chopped canned roasted red sweet peppers. Makes 6 servings.
- 230 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 68 mg chol., 856 mg sodium, 33 g carb., 6 g dietary fiber, 11 g protein.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 368,
- Fat, total (g) 16,
- chol. (mg) 54,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 23,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 32,
- sodium (mg) 1149,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet