- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 servings + reserves
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 3 to 3 1/2 hours (high)
- In an extra-large skillet, cook ground beef until brown. Drain off fat. Place beef in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in onions, sweet peppers, salsa, and black beans.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Reserve and store* half of the beef mixture; use in Easy Posole (see recipe below). Spoon remaining beef mixture into taco shells. Sprinkle with green onions, chopped tomato, and shredded lettuce, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Place reserved beef mixture in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 3 days.
In a large saucepan, combine reserved beef mixture, two 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth; 14.5-ounce can golden hominy, rinsed and drained; and 1 1/2 cups frozen loose-pack hash brown potatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top with dairy sour cream, snipped fresh cilantro, and chopped canned roasted red sweet peppers. Makes 6 servings.
230 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 68 mg chol., 856 mg sodium, 33 g carb., 6 g dietary fiber, 11 g protein.
- 368 kcal cal.;
- 16 g Fat, total;
- 54 mg chol.;
- 6 g sat. fat;
- 23 g carb.;
- 2 g fiber;
- 32 g pro.;
- 1149 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet