Turkey Frame Soup
meaty turkey frame
large onions, quartered
cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
cloves garlic, minced
Chopped cooked turkey
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
teaspoons dried oregano, basil, marjoram, or thyme, crushed
teaspoon black pepper
cups (any combination) sliced celery, carrot, parsnip, or mushrooms; chopped onion or rutabaga; or broccoli or cauliflower florets
cups dried medium noodles
- Break turkey frame or cut in half with kitchen shears. Place in an 8- to 10-quart kettle or Dutch oven. Add water, onions, celery, bouillon granules, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove turkey frame. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones. Coarsely chop meat. If necessary, add enough turkey to equal 2 cups; set turkey aside.
- Strain broth, discarding solids. Skim fat from broth. Return broth to kettle. Stir in undrained tomatoes, oregano, and pepper. Stir in vegetables. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in noodles. Simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes more or until noodles are tender but still firm and vegetables are tender. Stir in turkey; heat through.
- Makes 6 servings (about 11 cups)
Nutrition Facts(Turkey Frame Soup)
- Per serving:
- 182 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 52 mg chol.,
- 608 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 20 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet